I never knew that trees had leaves....

I have seen many people in my travels with eye care issues that were suffering  with the consequences. When I spoke to my eye  doctor about it she immediately  recommended  that I contact  Dr. Roma-March and TWECS. That is how my journey to this TWECS project in Costa Rica began.

First I attended the TWECS warehouse where I saw how the donated eyeglasses are received, sorted, cleaned and catalogued over the course of a year.  At the La Carpio clinic I was assigned  to the first of 6 stations, Registration. People of all ages came to the clinic throughout the day. Many were mothers with young children  and infants. One was a couple that had been married 45 years. Another was in her late 70's and had never had her eyes examined. We also tested their near vision. Many had trouble seeing to read, even children.

They lined up along the sidewalk in the heat, and traffic noise as 200 garbage  trucks travel this street to the San Jose garbage dump each day. Then they moved along to wait inside the clinic on kindergarten chairs for their distance visual acuity.  The "Tumbling E" chart is used for this. The clinic is being held in the second floor run by the  Humanitarian Costa Rican Foundation.

The people that need glasses eventually make it to the 6th station, called Dispensing. This is were the magic and joy happens. The smiles, hugs and thank you's. I feel their happiness and give them the thumbs  up as they leave. I remember my first pair of glasses at the age 7 because until then, I never knew that trees had leaves. The people's new found sight and what it means to each individual  is what makes being part of this project worthwhile. 

Brenda Lloyd, BC


Registration


No comments:

Post a Comment