Hillary Clinton?

Our second day at La Carpio was a lot busier but smoother. I felt a bit more at ease. At least I didn't make as many mistakes as I did yesterday. We started registration on the street level, which sped things up quite a bit. We experienced breeze, scorching heat, and heavy tropical rain, all within a couple of hours. 

During the registration, I witnessed teenage mothers with a number of children, each with a different family name. I also came across young girls that were overly shy, and couldn't answer a single question alone and kept hiding behind their mothers. Some day, they may follow their mothers' paths of being their men's dependents, not having full control of their own lives and totally rely on fate. On a bright side,  I came across two young girls (separately) and was surprised by their names. While I was expecting Rosa, Maria, or Juanita, I saw them write Hillary. I jokingly asked the mother, Hillary Clinton? And she said with hopeful eyes, "Si", while the girl nodded with confidence. We may not totally agree with Hillary Clinton's policy, or some people may really think she is "a nasty woman", one thing that nobody can disagree is, this lady has undeniably become an aspiration to women worldwide. So, Hillary Perez or Hillary Sanchez or Hillary Cruz, I hope you all find your voice in the future, and make yourself heard.

My closest encounter - When we were trying to finish up the registration at the end, I started talking to a woman with kids, and shortly after we started the conversation, I realized that she was actually breast feeding her young girl. I immediately said "Lo Siento" and stopped, while it didn't seem to bother her one bit. I guess when times are hard, food is the most basic but essential part of life. This lady didn't want her baby to go hungry. It's as simple as that.

Finally almost right before we wrapped up, I had the opportunity to watch the Dispense station. A young girl tried on her new glasses and the reaction of her eyes said it all. She realized that she has an alternative... to be able to see clearer, to be stronger, to be better educated, and some day to be able to walk a path that she's aspired to follow. 

That moment alone made all our hard work worthwhile.
By Kenson Ho, BC


No comments:

Post a Comment